Clear all

Michael P. Timeline

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
michael p
(@mdplaut)
Topic starter  

Hi -1st of all, love your site / thanks!  Sadly this is not working in the way you predicted and would love any advice you can offer.  Here's where we are:

- sent our big envelopes (1 for each of us) to the CPAM exactly as you, others and their site instructed with everything included

- sent these by Lettre Recommandé almost a month ago (12/Feb and signed/received Feb/15) and neither of us has heard anything nor received a temporary Social Security Number. 

- basically, we are stuck and can't apply for the Carte Vitale without this temp. number (as you say in your 3 steps). 

I have searched for any way to contact the correct office by email or phone but have not found anything. We really want to get this done and the timing is so long. 

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated (even if its just that this is normal/be patient) as it seems like we should have received our temp. S.S. numbers

Amicalement,

Michael

Nathalie Nahmani
(@taly_in_us)
Eminent Member Admin

@mdplaut Hi Michael! 

Congrats on sending all of the paperwork. Do not panic yet as one month is really not such a long time to receive your temporary social security number. The time it takes CPAM to process applications varies greatly depending on your local CPAM.

I wish I could give you an answer you'd like more but for now, my advice is to wait a little longer.

Just to be clear, I know I wrote about applying for carte vitale in the article but in reality you only apply to Assurance Maladie to enter the French healthcare system. Once you receive your temporary #, you're basically done. Carte vitale is just a way of getting reimbursed without manually sending your feuilles de soins. Carte vitale is really convenient but you can get reimbursed without it. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is: be patient. I would give it one more month and only call the English CPAM helpline (09 74 75 36 46) at that time if you haven't heard from them.

Hang in there Michael!

ReplyQuote
michael p
(@mdplaut)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply and advice Nathalie.  Some things here just seem to take unreasonably long while others are quick and easy.  We are currently in a "holding pattern" on 3 major things which make us feel stuck

- the Social Sec number / Assurance Maladie and we have bills already - BTW, we are in the Paris CPAM area

- our first tax reporting / Declaration des Revenues (sent in Dec.) which will enable us to file online for 2021 before May '22

- trying to get a renewal appointment for our Titres de Sejour - the site will not recognize us and no one ever answers at the number provided (3430) and you are then told to call back

It can be a bit maddening - We have been using the right websites, calling the numbers provided, emailing, etc but never get a meaningful reply or talk to a live person.  Please note that we do not contact them continuously but follow up if we do not hear back in two weeks ... and still we do not seem to move forward.

Your advice of patience is right/good I think but its hard to be patient when we just want to move past these issues and be able to "fit in" to our lives here.

thank you again - more advice is always welcome,

amicalement,

Michael

ReplyQuote
Nathalie Nahmani
(@taly_in_us)
Eminent Member Admin

Hi Michael,

I totally understand what you mean. The thing is though, everything in France takes much longer than in the US. It is quite a different pace and I'm sure you'll get used to it. Regarding impots, you have plenty of time, tax season is not open yet. 

For you carte de séjour, are you using this site to schedule your appointment? https://www.ppoletrangers.interieur.gouv.fr/?motif=rensej

Hang in there Michael!

ReplyQuote
michael p
(@mdplaut)
Topic starter  

@taly_in_us Hi Natalie ... We are indeed hanging in 🤣  and feel optimistic.

Thanks,

Michael

ReplyQuote
michael p
(@mdplaut)
Topic starter  

Hi all - a quick update on our Assurance Maladie applications and our timeline here in Paris.

After waiting 7 weeks with no word from the CPAM, I phoned the English line. They told me that they did not have access to the info needed but connected me to the regular French speaking line - luckily my French is fairly good. The nice woman there looked up my application (and next my spouse's) and pronounced that they were running late (big news eh? hah) and that our applications were beyond their acceptable period. She then escalated them and told me that I should have something in the mail w/in 15 days and that I could call back after 15 days if not received.

In 12 days we got one reply and the 2nd in 14 days. Unfortunately the NEITHER reply had our Social Sec numbers. One was a request for a birth certificate - already included in the original package we sent! The 2nd reply requested a copy of my passport (again already sent!) and also requested 6 months of EDF utility bills that showed the electricity consumption!

We sent these out yesterday (yet another fee for 2 lettres recommandé) and we are again in the "holding pattern".

The good news is that we can apply for reimbursement for any Carte Vitale covered portions of our bills after the postmark date of our original applications.
The bad news is that without the social security numbers, we can not apply for the Mutuelle to cover the balance.

Honestly, this level of inefficient bureaucracy is really difficult to deal with but we are patient and "hanging in" for the eventual outcome. I am sharing this experience so that you can set your own timeline expectations and plan accordingly should you be dealing with the Paris CPAM.

Hope this is helpful,
Michael

ReplyQuote