12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Bonjour

I am the wife of a French national with a long-stay Visa.  I understand that I will need to obtain a residency permit or carte de sejour to remain longer than one year.  I validated my Visa on August 22.  My question:

Do I wait for the prefecture to contact me to start the residency process?  If so, how long after Visa validation does this usually take to get contacted?  So far, I have heard nothing. Or do I need to contact the prefecture directly?  I am in Alpes-Maritimes department.  I have been on Frech gov websites but it was not clear how to start the process.

Thank you in advance.

James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

"Following the validation of your VLS-TS long stay visa, you will be summoned by the
competent regional department of the French Office of Immigration and Integration
(OFII) to participate in a half-day reception interview as part of the Republic
Integration Contract.
The French home address you have provided will determine the competent OFII
authority.
During this reception interview, the OFII will outline a plan of steps to take to support
your autonomy and assimilation in French society."

This is the passage from my Visa validation acknowledgment that I am referring to.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Nathalie Nahmani
(@taly_in_us)
Eminent Member Admin

Hello James,

You will need to apply for your residence permit on Foreign Nationals in France 2 months before your visa expires. 

The OFII is supposed to contact you for your interview. If you haven't received a convocation within 45 days after your visa validation, you should send them a copy of your passport along with your visa validation. This is explained (in French) in the last paragraph on this page from OFII: 

https://www.ofii.fr/validation-vlsts-et-convocation-ofii/

Thanks for reaching out James!

ReplyQuote
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Merci, Nathalie.

I am sending the information to the prefecture today as you stated.

James

ReplyQuote
Nathalie Nahmani
(@taly_in_us)
Eminent Member Admin

Hi James,

You should send the documents to OFII, not the préfecture. Find out the address for your location from this page: https://www.ofii.fr/ou-nous-trouver/

Please let us know when you receive your interview date!

ReplyQuote
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Nathalie

I did send the letter and received a response immediately.

I have been given a reservation for an interview on November 15.  There are actually two appointments - one for an x-ray(?) and one 30 minutes later for an interview and review with an auditor. 

Question - The reservation letter says that I should bring a copy of a recent pulmonary x-ray.  I have not had an x-ray in years, and have no copies.  We are attempting to call to see if this is only "if available" or if it is obligatory.  

Any experience with this?

Thank you again for your help/

James

ReplyQuote
Nathalie Nahmani
(@taly_in_us)
Eminent Member Admin

@jbeckr Hooray for getting your appointment!

I don't have any personal experience with this but I wouldn't worry about not having a recent x-ray as I'm sure nobody has one 🙂 

ReplyQuote
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yes you are correct.  There was an on-line blog that described the process.  Thanks for the reply.

ReplyQuote
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

"The online application procedure for this type of residence permit is currently unavailable. Please visit the website of the Prefecture of your residence for information on the steps to be taken."  This is the current message I am getting on the website Etrangers en France when I try to start my titre de sejour application.  Any information on this situation?  Thx

ReplyQuote
Nathalie Nahmani
(@taly_in_us)
Eminent Member Admin

@jbeckr I think this is normal when you apply for a carte de séjour vie privée et familiale. Read this (in French): https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/carte-sejour-vie-privee-familiale-etranger-france

Have you checked your local Préfecture's website?

ReplyQuote
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@taly_in_us Thank you Nathalie.  We will contact the prefecture (Alpes-Maritimes) tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
James Becker
(@jbeckr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this:

We had our appointment at the prefecture in Nice for applying for my titre de sejour.  They were not satisfied with the documents that we brought, (it's a long story) and they told us to come back at a specified date in late March with additional documents.  My concern is that the March date that they gave me is one day before my visa expires.  We pointed this out to the people at the prefecture but they were not willing to give us an earlier date.

Of course, we will do all that we can to ensure they are satisfied with the documents that we present next time.  But just in case there are further delays, I am wondering - 

**What happens if there is a further delay in my application and I exceed the stay period of my visa?  I did some research on the French gov website and learned that basically, I am expected to leave the country immediately in this case.  Otherwise I may be subject to fine and deportment.

**If I leave France, can I stay in another Schengen area country like Italy while trying to work out this issue, or must I return to US?

**Will they even issue me a carte de sejour if it gets to the point where my visa has expired?

**Can I temporarily extend my visa?  (did not find any reference to this on French gov website)

If anyone has experience with this issue I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ReplyQuote